Lubuntu Purge


As a BSD user since the 80's, Lubuntu was my first real venture into the Linux realm.  Prior to that I had only toyed with Linux a few times for brief periods.  This was pretty much at the same time I started this blog in 2012.

Lubuntu was the first distro I had ever given a true test drive to, and during my 'I know BSD, but I need to adapt that knowledge to a Linux' state.  I had always known of Debian through reputation, but somehow chose Lubuntu first.

In the end, Debian is a far better choice, and it will be the only Linux covered here moving forward.  All of the Lubuntu content here will be removed soon, so if you want to archive some of it, do it now.  I am no longer going to promote, in any manner, an OS I wouldn't use myself any longer.

By next weekend, all the Lubuntu content here will be gone.  As it should be. 

Lubuntu, and all the different flavours of Ubuntu, are all built on a foundation of Debian; upon which they then add their own shitty, unstable, user friendly and bloated code.

This is not meant as an insult to Canonical, but fact is fact, and I no longer want anything to do with what they call an OS.

8 comments:

  1. I can understand your position and i agree that the way to go is Debian, but the thing is that you have invested a lot of time on Lubuntu, and you have made great posts about it.

    for the moment i use Debian on the PowerMacs and MintPPC on the ibook and powerbook.

    by far Debian give you the best of Linux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mint PPC is Debian, Alberto. It's Debian LXDE with some slight visual modifications. Mint PowerPC is the closest thing to real Debian of any distro, other than Debian itself. Because it's based on installing Debian itself. Mint x86 is where it becomes more it's own distro, and is also based on more than just Debian.

      Excalibur: Mint has a reputation of being the best out of the box Linux for PowerPC portables, so give it a try. I would also try pure Debian just for good measure.

      Delete
  2. MintPPC performs incredible well on any powerbook g4, at least you wont expect problems with the wifi or sound, like with Lubuntu. For a desktop computer i would choice always Debian, but for a laptop.. i dont have a doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is from 2011 yes, but it is/was based on Debian Wheezy, which is the current stable version. At the time it was the testing version.

      So in simple terms, it's current for now, but it looks like there might not be anymore development to keep it that way. You really get the same OS by just using Debian LXDE. The differences range from minor to zero.

      Again, Mint PPC is Debian LXDE with some slight modifications and config.

      Delete
  3. It also has a full application suite out of the box and xorg autoconfigure. I think it is far more user friendly transition to Linux than is pure Debian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A fair point about the app pkg, and the more user friendly aspect.

      Delete
  4. I have installed both debian and lubuntu on my powerpcs, do you have suggestions on install debian (testing or unstable) on Imac G5 17 1.8Ghz ( nvidia video card)?

    Becouse with nvidia it freeze with debian (testing) and lubuntu (13.10 and 14.04) ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. so...how'd it go? I've had debian 7.3 running on an imac g4 1.25 last few months and figure I've added a couple more years of use to the machine. screen resolution (1440 x 900) was initially a problem, but that settled out with xorg.conf edits. iceweasel is v.24, which is nice (stupendous, compared to the poor abandoned Camino I had been running in tiger), with midori on the side. occasional odd quirk or twist which seems native to debian ppc, but otherwise rather pleased with the result.

    ReplyDelete