The most reliable Power Macs


A reader recently asked me a question I have been asked several times before via email. The question is usually somewhere along the line of "since Power Macs (pro towers) are the most reliable Macs, can you please list the specific ones that are best".

First off... "best" can be different with different people, as it depends on personal need as much as anything. That is something which is obviously a bit different with everyone.  For myself, reliability is paramount, and more important than performance.  For many users though, that is not the case.  Not that reliability isn't important to these people, but rather that performance with the stock CPU might be more important.

As I mention in my Why the Sawtooth is the greatest Mac ever made post from 2012, the Sawtooth is the most reliable, but every Power Mac tower made from February 1997 - July 2002 has a level of reliability that every Mac before or since has lacked.

For people who don't want to buy CPU upgrades, the Sawtooth isn't as good of a choice.  The stock CPU's range from 350-500MHz singles.  If you want more ready to go power, then the later Power Mac systems are the way to go.

If you're one of the loyal 8600/9600 luddites, then you have some of the most vast expandability in this group.  Sporting 6 PCI slots, a 1.5GB RAM capacity (double the newer beige G3), and the early stages of the easy open cases Apple became known for, the 9600 is a true beast.  The 8600 holds 1GB RAM, and has 3 PCI.   If you do things that can still be done on a 604 CPU, these are a very good choice.  Many of them also have G3 and G4 upgrades, but via a PCI based CPU socket.  Not the onboard socket, as it cannot fit a G3/G4.  The 8600/9600 towers are also about the biggest Apple towers ever made.  The G5 towers are about 2" taller, but that includes the handles, and the 8600/9600 are wider/bulkier.

For doing more modern or internet based tasks, it would be best to stick with the AGP equipped G4 towers, which only excludes the Yikes.  The Sawtooth and up also have a much faster memory controller.  The 8600 through to the Yikes move the RAM at speeds ranging from 50-280MB/sec, compared to 500MB-1GB+/sec for the AGP fitted G4's.

This is a list of all the truly reliable Power Mac towers (in chronological order):

  • Power Mac 8600
  • Power Mac 9600
  • Power Mac G3 Beige
  • Power Mac G3 Blue & White
  • Power Mac G4 Yikes (PCI Graphics)
  • Power Mac G4 Sawtooth (AGP Graphics)
  • Power Mac G4 Mystic (Gigabit Ethernet)
  • Power Mac G4 Tangent (Digital Audio)
  • Power Mac G4 Titan (Quicksilver)

The nine systems listed above give the ultimate combination of reliability and expandability.  They are virtually immortal.

There is no Power Mac G4 MDD or any G5 tower in the mix, because they both don't deserve to be in the same company as the above systems, unless you're a fan of your hardware having a good chance of potentially being dead one day.  The MDD ranges from 2-11x in how many times less reliable than all the above systems, and the G5's range from being 10-30x less reliable.  No joke.  I'm a certified Mac tech (and have been since before any of these towers were ever made), and know exactly what I'm talking about.

If you need as much performance as possible; without a CPU upgrade, along with reliability, then a dual 1.0GHz Quicksilver would be the best choice.

If you're like me and want reliability first, but still have good performance; a heavily upgraded Sawtooth is the way to go.  You also get an extra 512MB memory capacity with the Sawtooth vs. the Quicksilver and Digital Audio.  I have invested well over $1000 in upgrades on my main Sawtooth, so be sure this is what you want first.

Please direct any other questions related to this in the comments here.  That way everyone gets to read it, and read my answers.

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your assessment, Zen. Running PowerPC Linux, these machines will be around for a long, long time. My Quicksilver is just coming up to its thirteenth birthday. With its G4 upgrade (still available on eBay) it will still be running years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Quicksilver is the most aesthetic of all the G4's. I prefer the Sawtooth in a practical sense.

      Delete
  2. I'm more partial to the Gigabit Ethernet tower. It seems to be the most balanced of all the towers. The 2GB memory capacity of the Sawtooth, but with gigabit ethernet on board also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get your logic, but the Gigabit's power supply is a bit less reliable on average. I would rather use the Sawtooth + a gigabit PCI card, and the Trendnet cards I use are actually about 20-25% faster through PCI than than my Gigabit system (R2D3) with its on board ethernet.

      I do love my gigabit system also, but just prefer the Sawtooth generally. I got my Gigabit Ethernet/Mystic from a client as a gift. Was a dual 450MHz, but I added a single 1GHz instead.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you list, but under my point of view i would like to say that if actually anyone would like to invest money on a POWERMAC should go for a G4 quicksilver or a sawtooth + faster processor.
    i can say that my QS dual 1ghz is more than enough for daily tasks.
    my main server is a Gigabit Ethernet and ill never change it for a PC or a newer MAC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my top two would be Sawtooth and Quicksilver also. I like a the Mystic a lot also.

      IMO though, nothing gives a more professional tower look than the 8600/9600. You need to see one in person to really understand.

      Delete
  4. Any opinion about apple laptops? i have two powerbooks and one ibook, and at the moment they seem to last forever. this chart could help to have a real advice about the most reliable models.
    http://www.macintouch.com/reliability/laptops.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have mentioned before, I'm not really a laptop guy. If I had to choose one, and it had to be a Mac, then the later PowerBook G4's (1.5GHz+) and the clamshell iBook G3. Those records reflect that, as does my own experience. The one thing that differs in my experience is that the iBook clamshell are reliable till their 8-10th year, where as that info shows they were unreliable in year 3-4.

      Since the clamshells are G3, and horrifically underpowered in comparison, the later PowerBook G4 are the best choice. The 1.67GHz 15" specifically in my experience.

      Delete